Monday, September 23, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soup

Homemade Laundry Soup
Homemade Laundry Soup

I love this recipe for so many different reasons.  First I love to save money and for something that only cleans my clothes and then is washed down the drain I don't want to have a lot of money tied up in soup but still want it to work well.  I started making my own laundry soup two years ago.  After my son was born and the thought of saving money and not having to use to different laundry soups sounded great.  I was a Tide liquid girl for sure!!  The thought of using a powder soup kinda scared me.  My husband has very sensitive skin also.  But I thought what the heck I will try it.  So I bought my four ingredients and went to town(and it smells great).  I don't believe if you have well water it works as well.  But we have city water and trust me my husband comes home with dirty clothes every day.  And not the kind of dirt from an office job.  I mean really dirt, grease, and muck!!  to say the least but honestly it still gets his clothes clean as well. 
This is what you will find at the grocery store buy
  1. 3 boxes of Fels-naptha
  2. 1 box of baking soda
  3. 1 box of super wash soda
  4. 1 box of borax
  5. 1 3lbs. of oxi-clean






So when you make a batch of laundry soup the average cost per load is 3 cents to 6 cents depending on how much you use and cost for ingredients my very.  Per load of laundry use 1 tablespoon, when doing any really dirty clothes always double the amount being used.  The reason you don't need as much product is because their are not any fillers added its straight product. Wow in the past two years I would of spent $288.00 on laundry soap.  Rather I have made this recipe three times with a total of $58.14 spent on laundry soap!!  That's crazy!!






So once your home first find your cheese grater and get to work(its a great arm workout).  This is what it will look like-
Next grab a large bucket or bin and mix everything together.
I like how the Oxi-clean comes with a scoop I always save it and use it to measure out.  Also I like to use a container that is easy to poor out of. 

Is it safe for any washing machine?
Yes I have a "He washing machine" and it has worked great.  This is a great way to save money in your house if you have any questions on making homemade laundry soap let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment