Thursday, October 10, 2013

Stuff Pepper Soup

Stuff Pepper Soup (serves 12 cups)
A classic Stuffed pepper soup!! This is recipe that is not hard at all to keep clean and on track but still be able to enjoy a warm cup of soup.  I always enjoyed making all of my sons baby food so when he hit the right age to be able to eat more then just vegetables and fruits mashed.  I would make my husband and I a batch of soup and then get out my ice cube trays and portion out 1oz serving of this soup and freeze it for him. 

Stuff Pepper Soup

Ingredients:
1 lbs. of ground turkey

3/4cups of green pepper(cut a few extra to top the soup with)
1/2 cup of onion chopped

1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of onion salt

1/4 teaspoon of white pepper
1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon of oregano leaves
1 teaspoon of low sodium beef broth
4-5 cups of water
1 (28 oz. can) of diced tomatoes (low sodium not drained)
1  cup of brown rice
4 Tablespoons of real parmesan cheese (not the kind in the shaker)

1/2 cup of low fat cheddar cheese to top the soup with(optional)

Directions:


First take your onions, garlic, pepper, and olive oil in your pan and turn on medium heat letting it simmer until onions are translucent.


Next step is to keep the heat on medium and add your can of diced tomatoes with out draining them.




Next I measure out 1 cup of uncooked brown rice and add it to my pot also 4 cups of water.  Next I add all of the above spices (and parmesan cheese) onion salt,white pepper,garlic salt, oregano leaves, & sodium beef broth  to the soup and continue to simmer.


Next I use a small nonstick pan to brown my ground turkey still letting my soup simmer on almost a low boil.

The next step after meat is browned it to add it to your soup pot and continue on medium heat to low heat.  As it simmers the soup will get a bit thicker you might need to add another 1/2 cup or 1 cup of water depending on the consistency you want.

 
All to do now is wait, put the lid on and turn heat to low and let all the ingredients simmer together for 45 minutes.  Soup is always better the second day.  Yes you can eat a bowl right after making it but soup always has way more flavor the longer you let it sit(I like to wait 24 hours).


This soup is a heavier soup and freezes great.  Lets face it most of us want to eat healthier but time is always a factor.  This makes 12 cups, that makes it easy for me to have a dinner from it as well as some put in the freezer.  You can top this soup off with low fat cheddar cheese if you like.

Next on the list is for my audience to give it a try!!  He had 3 small bowls,  And I love the fact that my son is getting a great healthy meal.  Be the example in your house your little ones are watching and will follow your direction. 



What is your favorite type of soup to make?  This is a great example of what clean eating is all about.  It's taking a recipes that many of us would all ready make, making a few small changes and then your good to go it's clean and ready to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment